Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

You are what you eat!

It's true! You are what you eat! So here are some yummy & healthy meal ideas. Who says healthy has to be bland?!

Breakfast Ideas:

Cook an egg inside of a pepper slice! You can use just egg whites to make it even more healthy.

My most favorite breakfast is a bowl of steel-cut oats! I like to sweeten mine with a drizzle of honey. Then I top it with nuts, dried fruit, & cinnamon. Very filling!

I saw this idea on Pinterest. So many options for this! Here is the recipe. Of course, substitute the unhealthy for healthier options :) Instead of ham, do turkey bacon. Use fat free cheese. Add in fresh veggies. Get creative!

I also like to make a fresh juice in the mornings. Here is one of my breakfast juices before it hit the juicer. Carrot, star fruit, apples, and plums.


Lunch & Dinner Ideas:

Whole wheat mini pita pocket. Instead of mayo, I spread humus (or you could use avacado) and added fresh baked chicken, sprouts, & baby spinach. A side of cuties.

Whole wheat tortilla, humus, grilled sirloin, sprouts, & tomatos.

Baby spinach, spring mix, topped with slivered almonds, corn, beans, tomato, & a light dressing. YUMMO & super filling!

This turned out pretty good. It was one of those days when I stared in the fridge for like 5 min. and nothing was sounding good. So I came up with this...chopped avacado, chopped baked chicken, & fresh pico de gallo. You could add it to a wrap, bread, crackers, or eat it like this. It was good! Even my toddlers were asking for more ;)

This shrimp taco recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens. I love shrimp/fish tacos! Click here for the recipe!

Snack Ideas:

Baked apples are a great sweet treat! Found this recipe on Pinterest. Click here to see the directions!

Fresh made popsicles! So easy to do, kids will even enjoy this :) Just add fresh fruit and a light fruit juice (grape or apple) to a mold. Freeze. Remove and enjoy!


Another great idea I found on Pinterest (perhaps I have a slight obsession with that site) How to make these dried strawberries:
  1. Halve or quarter the strawberries, depending on their size; place on a baking sheet
  2. Dry in the oven for three hours at 100° C / 210° F.

And of course, for any meal or snack, I'm a huge fan of chocolate Shakeology! It feels like I'm cheating but I'm not :) So many options for mixing it, but my go to recipe is with ice & dark chocolate Silk Almond milk. I have made "fudgesicles" from it as well. My toddlers LOVE them! Heck, mommy loves them too.

So there you have it! Healthy food can be delicious. Don't be afraid to experiment with flavors, combos, & spices! You may just find you like "health" food ;)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment